Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default VFD and line reactor

I have a small VFD, Huanyang model HY02D223B that is powering a sub
spindle that I added to a CNC lathe. I have not interfaced the VFD
with the CNC control and don't plan to. The manual says a line reactor
should be used for power factor correction. It should be capable of
handling 12 amps at 250 volts, have 2.5 mH inductance, and 5%
impedence.
Besides power factor correction does the line reactor do anything
else that might prevent any problems? Such as stopping any noise that
might interfere with and CNC machines that are wired into the same
circuit breaker panel?
I don't really care much about the power factor correction right
now. My power company won't charge me less if the power factor is
corrected, I just don't use that much juice.
Virtually all the line reactors I see for sale are 3 phase models.
I am powering the VFD with single phase but could use 3 phase. Do all
lines running to the VFD need to go through a line reactor for proper
operation?
I could use 3 phase to power the VFD or maybe I could just use 2 of
the three windings in a 3 phase reactor. I dont know if that would
work so I am asking here.
Thanks,
Eric