Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tubeguy@myshop.com is offline

Default Which coax is better?

I never remember the numbers, so i will just describe it.

CB and low power ham radios use one type.
TV antennas use the other.

Both coax is about the same diameter and looks alike on the outside.

I have a police scanner. It has an ext. antenna connector on the rear
that is one of those "Motorola jacks" (same as the ant. connectors on
car radios).

I used to use a CB (car type) antenna on my roof, for the scanner. It
used the CB coax with them big connectors on the end. When I moved, that
antenna got left behind.

I recently dug out that scanner again, and have it connected to my
homemade weather radio outside antenna. But this weather antenna has the
TV style coax with F connectors.

I dont yet have an adaptor for F connector to the Motorola jack, but
found one on ebay and am waiting for it to arrive.

My question is whether it matters which coax is used? My weather radio
works fine as it is. I did try the scanner using alligator clips to
connect the antenna and i do get a signal.

I dont know how well that antenna, made specifically for 162.xx mhz will
work on the UHF scanner bands, but I have gotten 155.xx VHF signals
well, even with the alligator clip mess.....