Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to turn off the reversing noise ROADSTER DX-8

On 14/03/2019 23:44, wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 March 2019 17:45:34 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is not the reversing noise there for persons like myself who are blind and
might not know you were reversing?

Sorry but I don't get it. its a safety feature and we have just won the
right to get all electric vehicles given a sound which cannot be turned off.

Good - I was thinking of suggesting it to someone. The sound should be controlled by an ambient-noise microphone so that a person with elderly but functional hearing will be able to hear the sound at a suitable distance, perhaps depending on the speed/direction of the vehicle. This noise will help the sighted too - having seen a parked car, they may by force of habit think it safe to walk behind the car while looking for hazards elsewhere.

Let the owner choose the sound - I'd favour portions of the Grand March from Aida, the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves, the Overture to Tannhauser, or of course The Padstow Lifeboat and the Entry of the Gladiators or Der alte Brummbaer. YMMV.

For electric cars, I would suggest the sound of ... a normal car! People
have been brought up for all their lives to recognise the sound of and
the danger of cars. Using different sounds may well mean that people
don't immediately recognise the danger. Even after decades of electric
car use, if just any sound is allowed, people will be having to look at
every noise or will be ignoring most of them.

SteveW