Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Wireless switches for lights - recommendations?

Chris Green wrote

We want to install some lighting in a summer house and
it seems to us that some sort of remote wireless switching
would make sense as the switches are going to be a *long*
way from the lights and it will be difficult to hide the wires.

The obvious thing to use there is the Philips Hue system.

There is a 'proper' mains supply already installed with a sub-CU
with 6A breaker for the lighting. (With an RCD main switch).

Thats all you need with the Hue system.

The lights we want to control will probably mostly
be 12 volt LEDs with a transformer to supply them.

Makes more sense to use 240V bulbs and led strips now.

I did a quick Google Shopping look for 'wireless light switch' and
there seem to be a bewildering variety of them, how do I choose?

A system that does all you currently want to do and
what you might well want to do there in the future. And
which you can use in the rest of the house later as well.

Are there standards such that different makes will interwork

Zigbee is that.

or is that a faint hope?

Nope.

I'm quite happy to D-I-Y from quite low level stuff if
that makes sense from the price/function point of view.

It doesnt with function anymore.

I buy and build quite a lot of electronics stuff from Rapid Recall, CPC,
etc.

One set of lights will (probably) be operated by a fixed 'switch' on
the wall in the summer house but others might want more distant
(50 to 100 metres maybe) operation with a plip type remote.

Hue is ideal for that situation, there is even an entirely mechanical
switch which doesnt even us a battery which needs no wires at all
and which can be placed anywhere. It uses kinetic energy to send
a wifi signal to the base.

Any/all recommendations and ideas would be very welcome.

Hue is ideal for that situation. Not cheap tho and doesnt currently
have any LED panels. Amazon periodically has well discounted
specials and you can use any of the european amazons too.
Dont use amazon.com tho for any of the mains powered bulbs.