Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Wireless switches for lights - recommendations?

We want to install some lighting in a summer house and it seems to us
that some sort of remote wireless switching would make sense as the
switches are going to be a *long* way from the lights and it will be
difficult to hide the wires.

There is a 'proper' mains supply already installed with a sub-CU with
6A breaker for the lighting. (With an RCD main switch). The lights we
want to control will probably mostly be 12 volt LEDs with a
transformer to supply them.

I did a quick Google Shopping look for 'wireless light switch' and
there seem to be a bewildering variety of them, how do I choose?

Are there standards such that different makes will interwork or is
that a faint hope? I'm quite happy to D-I-Y from quite low level
stuff if that makes sense from the price/function point of view. I
buy and build quite a lot of electronics stuff from Rapid Recall, CPC,
etc.

One set of lights will (probably) be operated by a fixed 'switch' on
the wall in the summer house but others might want more distant (50 to
100 metres maybe) operation with a plip type remote.

Any/all recommendations and ideas would be very welcome.

--
Chris Green
ยท