Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LED lamp failure mode

On Thursday, 14 March 2019 00:42:41 UTC, Tim R wrote:
Less than a month ago (Feb 20th) I put 3 bulbs from a 4 pack of GE 60 w equivalent dimmable LED bulbs in a ceiling fixture in the bathroom. Two are dead now. I've tried them in other fixtures and they don't work; I've tried other bulbs in the bathroom and those do work.

The weird thing is the symptom. Screwing them in and out, occasionally they will flash on, as if a connection was making briefly. This is true in multiple sockets.

They have a 5 year warranty, but must provide the proof of purchase, which nobody saves, and mail to GE at my cost. Pretty safe warranty risk I'd say. The box says 13 year life. I got about 3 weeks out of these.

Common problem. Opening them may reveal a faulty LED or melted/oxidised solder joint. Or less likely something else.

NT