Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bitrex bitrex is offline

Default LED lamp failure mode

On 03/13/2019 08:42 PM, Tim R wrote:
Less than a month ago (Feb 20th) I put 3 bulbs from a 4 pack of GE 60 w equivalent dimmable LED bulbs in a ceiling fixture in the bathroom. Two are dead now. I've tried them in other fixtures and they don't work; I've tried other bulbs in the bathroom and those do work.

The weird thing is the symptom. Screwing them in and out, occasionally they will flash on, as if a connection was making briefly. This is true in multiple sockets.

They have a 5 year warranty, but must provide the proof of purchase, which nobody saves, and mail to GE at my cost. Pretty safe warranty risk I'd say. The box says 13 year life. I got about 3 weeks out of these.

There's a large indoor mall down the road from me that was quite the
happenin' spot in the 1990s, but like so many malls in the US
post-Amazon is still hanging on but has seen better days.

At some point they replaced all the accent lighting on the support
pillars on the right and left of this image with LED bulbs but they
cheeped out and now about 500 of 'em are busted or flickering making the
whole place look like a seedy German discotheque. No funds to pay anyone
to replace 'em. Oh well.

https://imgur.com/a/U5jWgpO