Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default PAT

On 10/03/2019 13:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.
I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

Its not a risk to equipment particularly - although I suppose a lead
with damaged socket connections which could cause arcing, may blow a
projector lamp should it happen at the wrong time. (note that many
projector lamps can cost hundreds to replace)

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if
it is
PAT Tested.

If you have no idea, then its likely its not. Its not something that
happens by accident.

Well they could always ask!

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

Probably cheaper to offer to buy a new one for her to use. Tell her she
can keep it as well for a contribution of funds!

Alternatively if there is a local charity shop that sells electrical
stuff, they probably have a tame tester you may be able to call on.

Both excellent ideas. I think I am right in thinking that PAT testing
isn't legally required on kit less than a year old? (So keep the receipt).