Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default PAT

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq"
wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 12:58:51 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 10/03/2019 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
My wife has arranged a speaker for her WI Group at the Church Hall.

The speaker has asked for a PAT Tested Extension Lead for her projector.

I can't see why - other than to avoid any responsibility if a faulty
lead
was provided. Surely her equipment could not be damaged.

A lead is provided by the Church Hall - we, as users, have no idea if it
is
PAT Tested.

Not sure what to get my wife to say to the speaker.

I have not ruled out that the lead may be PAT tested - not easy to check
right now.

...but what responsibility is it of the speaker?

Just check the cable and then tell her it's been PAT tested. Print a
label off the internet (there's loads) and stick it on the thing if you
can be bothered.

Bill

I thought all the idiots on the NG were taken up by Brexit.

At one time people "on the road" were at particular risk from cables
being bundled into vans and the like after every "gig". Electric
guitar players were very prone to exiting the world of the living,
both through their own equipment and items left for the users of the
venue with no real responsibility for maintenance being taken.

Irrelevant to what can happen with an extension cord for
a PROJECTOR that has been checked for any problem.

If you need to ask the question as to responsibility for testing of
the cable, then you really are in no position to do your own testing
and pull labels off the internet.

Your speakers equipment couldn't in any forseeable way be damaged
whatever the condition of the connecting cable.

An opportunity for deep thought methinks, and while you're at it, look
up "duty of care" on your search engine.

Your speaker seems to have her wits about her, what's the subject it
may be quite a rewarding lecture.

AB