Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Looking for a leak

On 10/03/2019 09:46, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Brian Gaff"* wrote in message ...

Also is there any way to isolate a zone?

I rremember in a friends house about ten years ago, I walked into an
upstairs room and said, it smells like fresh plumbing in here. IE I
cannot describe it, but there is a smell of dampness and something
like a coppery tinge to it.
There was a tiny pinhole in a pipe* to the radiator there. It semmed
to be almost like steam. Weird, as I do not see how one can get a pin
hole in a pipe. Still that sort of problem has always put me off of
central heating since.
Brian

I once owned a flat (over one of my launderettes) where pin holes kept
appearing in 1/2" (not 15 mm) cold water pipes. Happened several times
so eventually we changed the pipes. Installed mid 1960's I suspect but
could have been as late as mid 1970's. It was a hard water area.

ISTR a recent BigClive video on YouTube where he dissected a bit of pipe
he cut out of his system that had sprung a pinhole leak. There were
clear spots of corrosion inside the pipe where it was thinning.

Yup, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDF3qRLw7CM

--
Cheers,