Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Looking for a leak

On 10/03/2019 10:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 09/03/2019 18:44, Paul Welsh wrote:
On 09/03/2019 18:25, John Rumm wrote:

Any bright ideas?

I cut strips of kitchen paper and tie it around every possible
leakingÂ* joint.
Â*I live in a hard water area so even if the water evaporates I get
calcium deposits after a few weeks or months, these can be felt by
the paper going slightly hard and discoloured.

Handy tip, ta.

Two litres sounds a lot. How do you measure it?

I can't directly - I can only estimate by how long I turn the filling
loop on to restore the pressure, and compare that time with filling a
container at the kitchen tap. We have high water pressure (~6 bar), so
it can shift a fair amount in a few seconds.

Umm. I suspect the valves on the filling loop are small bore leading to
lots of noise.

They are typical service valve size. When fully open the fill runs quietly.

You could unhitch and fill a container to get an actual.

Indeed I could...

Although the exact quantity in this case is not really the problem!

Nevertheless, it does sound to be a significant amount of water going
somewhere. I thought I had fixed mine when an auto air bleed literally
fell off the attachment thread! Pre-fixed to the manifold so likely
transport or installation damage. However, the system has now gone back
to losing a *needle thickness* per day with no visible signs. Fully
carpeted/tiled. Clearly with a manifold system I can isolate sections
relatively easily when the Tuits line up. Meanwhile my guess is the
screed over block and beam where a screeders shovel may have damaged a
pipe and any subsequent leak invisible.

Yup UFH with a leak can be a right pain to fix.

--
Cheers,

John.