Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Looking for a leak

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 09/03/2019 18:44, Paul Welsh wrote:
On 09/03/2019 18:25, John Rumm wrote:

Any bright ideas?

I cut strips of kitchen paper and tie it around every possible
leaking joint.
I live in a hard water area so even if the water evaporates I get
calcium deposits after a few weeks or months, these can be felt by the
paper going slightly hard and discoloured.

Handy tip, ta.

Two litres sounds a lot. How do you measure it?

I can't directly - I can only estimate by how long I turn the filling
loop on to restore the pressure, and compare that time with filling a
container at the kitchen tap. We have high water pressure (~6 bar), so
it can shift a fair amount in a few seconds.

Umm. I suspect the valves on the filling loop are small bore leading to
lots of noise.

You could unhitch and fill a container to get an actual.

Nevertheless, it does sound to be a significant amount of water going
somewhere. I thought I had fixed mine when an auto air bleed literally
fell off the attachment thread! Pre-fixed to the manifold so likely
transport or installation damage. However, the system has now gone back
to losing a *needle thickness* per day with no visible signs. Fully
carpeted/tiled. Clearly with a manifold system I can isolate sections
relatively easily when the Tuits line up. Meanwhile my guess is the
screed over block and beam where a screeders shovel may have damaged a
pipe and any subsequent leak invisible.

--
Tim Lamb