Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Looking for a leak

On 09/03/2019 21:49, David wrote:
On Saturday, 9 March 2019 18:25:13 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
There is a leak somewhere in my central heating system - its losing
pressure regularly, and needs topping up with at least a couple of
litres a day.

Any bright ideas?

I had a cracked heat exchanger. Because it was a condensing boiler, it happily drained all the leaked water down the condensate pipe.

Yup I did consider that, and was wondering how to test it without taking
the cover off the combustion chamber...

Could you see whether the boiler appears to be producing condensate even when it's powered off?

Alternatively, can you isolate the boiler and see whether its pressure decreases over time?

Yup, that would probably do it actually. If I take the front cover off
then I can see the internal mechanical pressure gauge (normally the one
you can see from outside is electronic and on the boiler's LCD).

--
Cheers,

John.