Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default Opening a 2wire 1701HG "bowtie" router

whit3rd wrote:
On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 11:34:27 PM UTC-8, bob prohaska wrote:
I've been given an old 2wire 1701HG ADSL modem/router...

I was able to do a factory reset, connect a computer and ping the default
address of 192.168.1.254. However, a web browser pointed at that address
brings up nothing useful.

My 2701HG has the control panel at 192.168.0.1/setup which might be worth a try.
I downloaded firmware from the local ISP that improved the available features
noticeably, but that was 5 years ago; they've decided these old models are obsolete
now (probably because the WiFi is WEP-only).

Depending on the ISP, yours might have some custom firmware. Only the original
supplier ISP would be able to document it or supply updates.

Digging around on the Net I found a thread dealing with using an old 1701 without
DSL as a wireless router. It was mentioned in passing to connect the 1701 to a
computer first, then apply power. That did the trick; the admin web page came up
and I was able to look around. However, on standing a while the connection quit
working. I don't know if that was a timeout of some sort, or a malfunction, so
more testing is needed.

In any case, it's alive and I can tell it's not a drop-in replacment for the
residential gateway I'm using now, a Cayman 3546 with one-to-one NAT. It still
might be usable for testing, or in an emergency with some reconfig of my net.

Thanks for replying!

bob prohaska