Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bje@ripco.com is offline

Default Apple Xserve 2009 dual quad core has no power on second CPU

Lucifer wrote:

No BIOS. It's an Apple.

Was this an ebay special?

Make sure you put a fresh battery in (probably cr2032), there may be no bios
but it still has nvram for configuration settings, backed up by the battery.

A flakey battery (or dead) might screw things up quite a bit. On some Sun
servers, the machine won't even power up.

One other thought, you said something about 12GB ram, kind of an odd amount.

I think that machine is picky about the type and what slots are used. You
can use different sized chips but the pairs have to be matched.

On that machine the slots are arranged like this:

1 5 2 6 3 7 4 8

the ones in slots 1 and 2 have to be matched. (first pair)
the ones in slots 3 and 4 have to be matched. (second pair)
the ones in slots 5 and 6 have to be matched. (third pair)
the ones in slots 7 and 8 have to be matched. (forth pair)

To make life simple, if you know for a fact you have 4 identical simms, just
use them in 1-2-3-4 and leave 5-6-7-8 empty.

I'm not sure if the mixed sizes or placement will cause the led not to light
on the one cpu but this is just basic troubleshooting.

Odds are it's "something else" including a bad cpu but the battery and simm
placement is a good starting point.

-bruce