Posted to sci.electronics.repair
three_jeeps three_jeeps is offline

Default Brother maintenance apps?

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 5:50:17 AM UTC-5, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 3/3/19 6:41 pm, Spare Change wrote:
The service manual for Brother HL-22xx (2240, 2250, 2270, etc.) printers says
there is a €œmaintenance device driver€ (which, from documentation Ive
seen, seems to be an app) for windows.

Ive searched the €˜net but cant find this--or other--service apps for
Brother.

Sooo, you're looking for your Brother's keeper?

Personally, I wouldn't keep a Brother. HP all the way.

Yea, I used to think that way until the last two HP printers (one laser, one inkjet) had continuous annoying failures (laser printer had phantom paper jams with less than 10,000 copies) and the inkjet AIO ate ink (200 pages with the XL cartridges, was incredibly slow, and eventually lost its mind after 2 years.)
The Brother replacement was a little more expensive than a comparable HP, but I get 400+ pages on ink cartridges that in total, are $30 less than the HPs.
Yes, color images (e.g. photos) are not quite as good, but since color photos are less than 1% of my printing, the brother is a much better tradeoff. Also, firmware and sw updates on the HP were an exercise in patience and futility. One click on the brother and the updates download and install flawlessly.
HP printers are not your fathers HP, no way, no how.