Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fluorescent lighting

On Monday, 4 March 2019 14:18:21 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 March 2019 19:35:02 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
This lab was build in the 1960s last electrical refurbishment was in
the mid 90s. But still never seen any dimmable florescant in the
dept or uni, there must be a reason.

Generally, florries in a lab are working lights. Why would you need to
dim them?

Because that's what the designers of the new lab said we need, you don't
think they'll ask us users do you ?

I'm really not surprised given your replies to questions on here. ;-)

Well I was asked my views, but I never said I wanted auto lights I did say we wanted a section of the lab that could be made dark for visual experiments we had this 30 years ago for opto electronics experiments with lasers.
I wanted a room where students could work on audio projects doesn't need to be completley soundproof. They ahve partly done that with a bit of sound proofing and an extra thick door.

I asked for the lab to be a heated one and have got that with overhead heaters for some reason. I wanted indicidual cupboards for the desks, and got that.
We even have temperature readouts and settable to 0.1C (I believe that once I're tried it)

We didnlt want the expensive AV desks that are about £5k but apparenty that is the default now. We wanted second monototrs for AV as we have them in the old lab. They said we must have the newer 4K ones.
We got to chose the carper and tiles too, the chairs and stools. They tried to get us to buy the expensive chairs that are adjustable at £200+ each we settled for the OK ones of about £45.
We even thought about the opening ceromony and I said we should get Maggie Philbin to open it and they think that's a good idea and looking into it.

Sometimes they listen to me/us other times they don't.