Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fluorescent lighting

On Friday, 1 March 2019 15:00:09 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 March 2019 14:31:48 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
Could one ask why you would want to these days, assuming you could
find any to install!

Is it that far behind LEDs etc in terms of efficiency/life?

I've heard they are, but not having testd them myself I can't say.

A florry gives a more even illumination than a series of LEDs.

That's not really true espeacily over time, the ends of florrys go black
and start to flicker and get dimmer with time.

Also a better selection of colour temperature, etc.

Not sure that is true, but it should be difficult for LED tubes to be
desined like the phillips hues.

We have new LED tubes in our new lab auto on and off, in my office they
are also dimmable unlike the florrys in my present office, one of which
is just flickering. One in the corridor is flickering and making a noise.
It could wake the students up ;-)

Dimmable fluorescent fittings have been around since the early 1960s.
Nothing new there.

I used to spend time somewhere with magnetic ballasted fluorescents on 1930s variac dimmers. It worked.

NT