Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bearcat BC855XLT Looses it's Memory Occasionally

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 11:08:32 -0500, wrote:

My Bearcat BC855XLT looses it's memory once in a great
while. Note: I am a service technician.

How long is a great while? There's a low leakage electrolytic
capacitor that will hold a charge to keep the memory alive for about 3
days maximum according to the user manual.

I did NOT find (Google search) a schematic for this scanner.

Same here. Some user manuals, but no service manuals.

This scanner has a "unique capacitor type memory back-up".

It's a low leakage type, probably one of these:
https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors-Radial-Leaded/_/N-75hqw?P=1z0wrk5&Keyword=Nichicon+Low+Leakage+Alumi num+Electrolytic+Capacitors&FS=True

I would like to modify this scanner and use a battery back-up because
it is a HASSLE to reprogram the 50 channels.

You'll probably need to find the capacitor in question and measure the
operating voltage. Try turning OFF the scanner and measure the
voltage across all the likely culprits (large value electrolytics).
Anything with voltage when it's off is a possibility. You might also
check the minimum voltage needed to keep the memory alive. Then, add
a battery with a reverse protection diode to prevent the radio from
charging the battery.

Does anyone know where I can find (willing to buy it) schematic?
Or.....
Does anyone know where I can find the modification I want to make
to maintain memory?

Sorry, but it's the best I can do.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558