Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Scratchy volume control.

On Thursday, 21 February 2019 20:46:30 UTC, Peter Jason wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:41:12 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:
On 2019/02/19 5:06 p.m., Peter Jason wrote:

I have one of these......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1VHkWsb9MY0/maxresdefault.jpg

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost
all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling
noises when operated as it jumps at random from
high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or
grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad
volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy
with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls
as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

Would finely-powdered graphite work in this case.
Like the type used for door locks?

No.
1. It does not remove the gunk causing bad contact
2. It tends to short the resistance in use
3. It tends to create a short from track to case, which sometimes would be a problem.

It was sometimes used in the 1940s on pot tracks that had worn away, but that is not likely to be the problem, and certainly was not used by pouring powder in, and was at best a temporary bodge.

NT