Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gtech V Dyson cordless?

On Thursday, 14 February 2019 00:13:56 UTC, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

We have a Dyson V6 (bought for us by our daughter) and tonight I used
it to remove the dog hairs from a 2 bed flat.

Did she buy you the D6 or the D6 animal (purple) which is for cat and dog hair and pets in general ?

I did it in 3 charges as
the particular dog hairs seem to have been fairly embedded (and their
cleaner didn't seem to be able to get them). If I'd really wanted to
give it a deep clean I'd have taken our Meile Big Cat n Dog corded
cylinder but I wanted to test the Dyson.

I use my corded animal when doing large areas covered in cat hair, if it's just a small area that needs cleaning I use my cordless dyson cordless which is not the animal version and that does have greater difficulty picking up hair and doesn't give the same 'deep' clean and seems less powerful and isn't an 'animal version' which came out a few months later.

So, we know how well the Dyson works but a couple of mates swear by
their Gtech's and so I was wondering of anyone here has practical
experience of both (brands) and could comment (re comparison).

A friend some years ago who wanted to replace their hoover.
Cleaned her flat with it then went out and bought a dyson ball.
She was amazed that the new dyson almost filled with dirt that her old hoover didn't suck up, and was 'over the moon' with her new dyson and went around telling everyone how good it was.
Now 5 years later her dyson isn't perfoming as well so she wanted a new cleaner I suggested the animal DC10, while in PCworld jan sales she bought a cleaner corded for £100 (not sure which one).
When I asked how it was she just said OK, then on my second ask, it's OK but yuo have to change the heads when going from the kitchem to the living room and it's it of a pain and doesn't fit to well together, but it's ok if not in a hurry.
It also seems to push dust out towards the edges rather than pull it in.

Personally I'd pay the extra £100 for less hassle given the choice, but perhaps that's because I'm lazy or prefer conserving my energy and effort..

On looking at the Gtech on TV they do seem rather cumbersome and arkward looking at the design and where the bin is located, but not having tried one I don't know.
But when I need a replacement I think I'll stick with another dyson probabley the DC 12 animal (which doesn't exist yet, but might be out about the time I think I need a new cleaner)

Or of course I might get married and never have to bother cleaning again ;-D

For just doing the carpets in the flat (no stairs or car etc) I'm
guessing the Gtech AirRam Mk2 would be the model to use?

Mum (88) is also considering a cordless cleaner but she needs
something for the stairs so would the Gtech Multi / AirRam combo be
better than the latest Dyson (Cyclone V10?) for her?

I think the V10 might be lighter and eaisier to maneuver on stairs than the gtech which seems a bit larger and bulkier.

My prefered cleaner for stairs was my old dirt devil

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/312208807214?chn=ps

but the belt kept slipping off and it made a nasty noise and burning smell when I 'sucked' a screw up, that siezed the roller up.

I now use my dyson cordless on the stairs.

Cheers, T i m