Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default WD-40, CRC 'Lectra-Clean, Liquid Wrench, and Kroil

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 22:24:11 -0600, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 2/12/19 9:54 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
That depends on how its tested and who's doing the testing:
"Which Penetrating Oil is Best? Let's find out!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEob2oAKVs

I've seen this before, I serious question his results.

I'm starting to think that penetrating oils don't help much with
the initial torque required to break a fastener loose. But once even a
little movement happens the oil can then act as a lubricant and help
prevent galling as the fasteners are turned.
But I am not convinced because of one particular case. An antique
rifle of mine has a flip up peep sight. The peep sight can be adjusted
by turning a knurled collar. When I got the rifle it was obvious that
the collar was stuck pretty good because there was damage to the knurl
from pliers. I tried various penetrating oil over the years and could
never get the collar to trurn. Then a few years ago I tried using some
Break Free on the thing. I wet the assembly in the evening and the
next morning I was able to turn the collar with just my fingers. Not
easily at first. But I was able to get the thing apart and it was
rust that washed out of the collar and off of the screw.
Eric