Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default WD-40, CRC 'Lectra-Clean, Liquid Wrench, and Kroil

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 20:07:39 -0600, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 2/12/19 7:34 PM, wrote:
I've got a jar of Kroil from my neighbor.
I read somewhere about ATF* plus acetone and
a third thing.. ethyl alcohol? that was 'better'
for unsticking nuts and bolts.
I never tried it.

George H.
*Automatic Transmission Fluid

Actually, it's a little better than Kroil.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/212342.jpg
But, to me, it's not worth my time ****ing around
playing "Junior Chemist" When I can just buy something
that works. Works well, and works repeatedly well.

That depends on how its tested and who's doing the testing:
"Which Penetrating Oil is Best? Let's find out!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEob2oAKVs

[Spoiler] See graph at:
https://youtu.be/xUEob2oAKVs?t=516
Best
Heat (using a torch)
Liquid Wrench
Acetone/ATF
Royal Purple
WD-40
PB Blaster
Aero Kroll
Dry
Worst.

The problem with these results is that most of the penetrating oils
seem not much better than torquing an unlubricated rusty bolt. To me,
that looks like something might be wrong with the proceedure or
application method.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558