Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tapers

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 16:59:16 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* I finally figured out that the reason the drill chuck that came with
my bench top milling machine was so wobbly is the mandrel . The JT taper
is all weird , too loose in the bottom of the hole . And since I like a
challenge (sometimes) I decided to fix it . BUT FIRST before I go
screwing up a serviceable though ****ty part , I figured I needed to
make sure I can recut that taper . So out of the corner comes the home
made taper attachment - which I used exactly once before today . After
an entire afternoon of adjusting and cutting and adjusting ... I finally
got it dialed in and made a successful taper on some scrap stock . I did
try making very light cuts on the mandrel , but ran out of length before
I got it quite right . Now I have 2 ways I can go , I can build up the
taper with the TIG welder , or I can machine a bit off the bottom of the
R8 section of the mandrel to get a little more length . I'm concerned
about warpage if I weld it , but can chuck it in the 4 jaw and dial it
in to relocate the center hole in the taper if it doesn't run true . If
I machine some off , I have about a quarter inch at the bottom of the R8
taper that's cylindrical before the taper starts . I'm not sure that's
going to give me enough length to get the taper right and I'll end up
welding anyway - but without that cylindrical section to dial it in on
the lathe . Or maybe I'll just order a new one on ebay and save this one
for another project ... last time I looked I couldn't find any , this
time there are several choices .

Frankly..unless you like farting around..order a new one. Saves you
time and likely..money.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---