Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Electrical advice: Washing machine tripping RCD

Yes also any anti surge socket bars as well.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
On 12/02/2019 15:18,
wrote:
Out of the blue, my faithfull old Hoover washer tripped the RCD on my
consumer unit.

After reset, it'll stay untripped when the machine is powered on at the
socket, but as soon as I turn the control to anything other than 'off'
the RCD trips.

The strange thing is that I've left the washing machine unplugged and yet
the RCD still tripped a couple more times, but seems to have settled now
and been ok for a few hours.

So, two questions:-
1. Any idea why the RCD might be tripping when machine is not plugged in
(I'm assuming it is the machine that is faulty)

2. Assuming the machine is faulty, anyone know where to start looking for
what could be causing the imbalance? Don't want to invest in a new
machine if this one could be fixed easily/cheaply.

Note that the ring main MCB is not tripping, just the RCD for all the
downstairs breakers.

I have electrical knowledge and multimeters etc. Just seeking opionions
on what might be most likely.

Thanks, as always, for sharing your knowledge and experience.

The RCD is looking as the cumulative earth leakage across all the circuits
connected to it. So it is likely that several items are adding up to
enough to cause a trip but no one item will be enough to trip it.

Progressively test the leakage of the likely culprits one at a time. best
to do the tests at mains voltage or with a megger tester as many leaks
will be voltage dependent and your LV ohm meter possibly will not show up
a fault.

Things with heating elements are worth looking at first cooker rings,
oven, dishwasher, immersion etc
Second are things with RFI filters in where capacitors have gone leaky.