Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Diamond grit sharpening stones

On 12/02/2019 06:25, wrote:
Hello all.

I'm after a diamond grit sharpening stone. I intend to use it for general purpose sharpening, as well as flattening my Jap water stones.

I notice that "DMT DiaSharp" seems to be a premium product in diamond grit sharpening stones (judging by the price, at least). On the other hand, there are a lot of cheapo items on eBay that are less than half the price of a DMT of equivalent size.

My working assumption is that the DMT products will be better made (flatter, more durable, more uniform grit etc.), but does anyone have anything positive to say about cheap diamond grit sharpening stones? Source?

Thanks.

Bill.

If you need to to reference flatten your Japanese stones then I'd by the
best.
I have some small no-name ones to touch up carbide metal turning tools
where anything will do and they are fine as are ALDI diamond files.

I presume you are a woodworker and need plane irons to be dead
straight/flat hence the Japanese stones. The other method woodies favour
is the scary-sharp method where the flatness comes from float glass.
I do a lot of woodwork but virtually no hand tools. My Tormek is more
than adequate for planer thicknesser knives and the saw blades go off to
the local saw doctor for attention.

Bob