Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disposal of roofing felt

On 12/02/2019 00:30, Harold Davis wrote:
GB wrote in :

Data point: a small transit sized van has more room in than a 8 yard
skip, and costs less to hire.

I had some stuff to dispose of in MIL's garage. I thought 'not much
there', but it completely filled a hired transit.

Cost all in of the transit was £38 for half a day. Plus, some money for
my son for helping. Compared to £150 +VAT which was the cheapest quote
from the rubbish clearance firms.

The man at the council has now quoted me at around £140 per tonne. So with
50 sq m and 2 kg per sq m that's 0.1 tonnes for £14. He did say that the
contractor would need a licence whereas I don't so long as I'm throwing
away my own stuff.

I could spend a few hours slashing the felt into 33 pieces of say 1m x 1.5m
and do 2 or 3 journeys in a SEAT Alhambra with the back seats removed and
2nd row folded. That's a lot of slashing, but worth the effort for £1386
minus car fuel.

Those are the sort of sums that made me determoine that renovating my
house was going to be done by me, to my standards, not at £200 a day to
some cints slapdash standards.

Harry

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer