Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default System boiler or conventional when replacing combi

On 11/02/2019 19:44, Darksyphon wrote:
replying to Tim+, Darksyphon wrote:
Thanks for the replys. The only thing I'm wondering is if I need the
central
heating side pressurised too? I like the idea of not having any tanks. But
that means more gear....another pressure vessel. Just wondering if the
extra
reliability of a conventional boiler is worth having to add all the things
seperatly that are now inside system boilers. I'm not bothered about the
cost

Ultimately you will have the same major components, its just the
location of them that changes.

Note however you may be able to implement more sophisticated controls
with the system boiler, to give things like split temperature
operation[1] or weather compensation[2], which are harder to do with
heating only boiler usually.

just want the best system that is reliable. Not looked into Thermal stores.
Will have a read

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...and_Heat_Banks

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/DIY_Heat_Bank

[1] Split temp allows you to run lower flow temps through the heating
(for greater condensing efficiency) when its not desperately cold
outside, but still run high temperatures when reheating the cylinder.

[2] Weather compensation makes the flow temperature automatically adjust
to the outside temperature, and sometimes also the heat loss
characteristics of the building and sometimes also the size of the
difference between the actual internal temperature and the target temp
set on the room stat. So it runs hotter water through the rads on colder
days, or when it needs to heat the place more quickly.

--
Cheers,

John.