Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default PEX For Shop Air Lines?

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:38:24 PM UTC-6, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 18:19:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:25:06 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 08:24:31 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I just bought a 100-foot air line from Harbor Freight and snaked that through the walls from the garage to the basement shop. I added a moisture trap and a regulator at the basement end. The compressor runs at 125 psi and I can cut down the pressure in the shop to anything I need for pin nailers, etc. This is really convenient and probably cost less and took less effort than any kind of plumbing.
That being said, a friend used ordinary CPVC pipe which is rated at 200 psi.

And he may luck out and move before it breaks, or he may luck out and
there not be anybody near it when it breaks. You might find a couple
of videos instructive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVO4_hUvFsc

How instructive is a video that shows that they couldn't get the PVC to
shatter until they battered it numerous times with a weight of an unspecified
amount from a height of 12' and then *froze* the frigging thing?

For all we know, it would have shattered at 0 PSI after taking all that
abuse and then being frozen. Heck, for all we know, it would have shattered
the *first time* at 0 PSI once it was frozen. Bad example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1x1UxbD7B0

How instructive is a video of some guy who says nothing more than "Don't
do it" without anything to back up his words other than some videos of PVC
bursting after being subjected to...oh, wait...we have absolutely no idea
what it was subjected to. Bad example.

Oregon OSHA states

Plastic pipe used for compressed air service must be designed for such
service by the
manufacturer. Examples of such pipe include high-density polyethylene
(HDPE) and
Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS). Compressed air piping systems
that use plastic
pipe must also be €śproject specific€ť €“ i.e., suited for a particular
application or project €“
and installed by a competent person.
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe must not be used in
compressed air systems unless it is buried or encased.
PVC pipes are unsafe when
theyre used for compressed
air service because they can
shatter or explode under
pressure or from an external
force. Sunlight (the UV
component) can also reduce
the impact resistance of PVC
pipe.

I tend to think of ABS and PVC pipe as being the same. My usage of either pipe is with plumbing. Hard to believe ABS is compressed air compliant but PVC is not. Seems to me both would not be compliant.