Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default System boiler or conventional when replacing combi

On 11/02/2019 17:55, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/02/2019 17:45, Chris B wrote:
On 11/02/2019 16:46, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/02/2019 14:44, Darksyphon wrote:
Large extension added to my 3 bed property. Combi has been a pain
in the arse
and now won't cut it with 2 main bathrooms.

My question is should I go for a system boiler with an unvented
cylinder or
get a conventional boiler and have pressurised ch and again an
unvented hot
water cylinder?

Plumbing in the extension hasn't started yet and I plan to put the
unvented
cylinder in the gurage.

My plans were for the system boiler but I met a plumber who said to go
conventional.

A system boiler implies a conventional system. You have a choice of
unvented, vented or thermal store.

I went for the thermal store as the cylinder isn't pressurised so
doesn't need inspection and testing while still having high pressure
hot water.

TBH I suppose I just did the first inspection and test of my
pressurised cylinder in 16 years after replacing all the pressure
bits... :-)

Personally I'd still go for a pressurised system

Thermal store almost as good.

Can depend on location.Â* Thermal store in old house suffered from
major scale up in the small bore pipes that run through the thermal
store to provide HW.Â* Filling a bath ended up being so slow that water
was cooling down faster than hot water being supplied.Â* Just barely
acceptable for shower or washing up.Â* Probably worse than a combi. A
Water softener may have helped but there wasn't one fitted,

Might have been a pain to do but I don't see a problem with running a
descaler through the coils.

I think the difficulty is the problem.

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith