Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 9v Batteries

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:44:28 PM UTC-5, OGEE wrote:
Looking for less expensive 9v alkaline battery.

Please suggest best brands.

The best brands are those that guarantee both their products and the devices they go into.

I once had a Civil-Defense surplus Geiger counter that I purchased for $10 at a surplus auction. It took two (2) D-size batteries, which I duly inserted. My wife collected Fiesta-Ware at the time, and those pieces that were radioactive would not be used for food purposes. Most of the time, the thing sat in a closet, until one day I took it out and checked it - to find out that the two Eveready Alkaline batteries had leaked all over the innards.

Off it went to Eveready. Ten (10) days later, I received a check for $368.97 + the original postage, and a polite note stating that the cost offered was the original contract price to The Civil Defense people in 1963, and the postage - along with the admonition that I should not leave batteries in valuable idle equipment. Point taken.

Some time later, a 4-cell Maglite with Duracell batteries went off to Duracell. Took a bit longer, two (2) weeks. Back comes a new Maglite, and the old one fully cleaned and operating, together with fresh batteries.

Do you think that we will ever use anything other than these brands?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA