Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris B[_2_] Chris B[_2_] is offline

Default System boiler or conventional when replacing combi

On 11/02/2019 16:46, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/02/2019 14:44, Darksyphon wrote:
Large extension added to my 3 bed property. Combi has been a pain in
the arse
and now won't cut it with 2 main bathrooms.

My question is should I go for a system boiler with an unvented
cylinder or
get a conventional boiler and have pressurised ch and again an
unvented hot
water cylinder?

Plumbing in the extension hasn't started yet and I plan to put the
unvented
cylinder in the gurage.

My plans were for the system boiler but I met a plumber who said to go
conventional.

A system boiler implies a conventional system. You have a choice of
unvented, vented or thermal store.

I went for the thermal store as the cylinder isn't pressurised so
doesn't need inspection and testing while still having high pressure
hot water.

TBH I suppose I just did the first inspection and test of my pressurised
cylinder in 16 years after replacing all the pressure bits... :-)

Personally I'd still go for a pressurised system

Thermal store almost as good.

Can depend on location. Thermal store in old house suffered from major
scale up in the small bore pipes that run through the thermal store to
provide HW. Filling a bath ended up being so slow that water was
cooling down faster than hot water being supplied. Just barely
acceptable for shower or washing up. Probably worse than a combi. A
Water softener may have helped but there wasn't one fitted,

Combi = ****ing awful unless you get a huge one

--
Chris B (News)