Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default System boiler or conventional when replacing combi

On 11/02/2019 14:44, Darksyphon wrote:
Large extension added to my 3 bed property. Combi has been a pain in the
arse
and now won't cut it with 2 main bathrooms.

My question is should I go for a system boiler with an unvented cylinder or
get a conventional boiler and have pressurised ch and again an unvented hot
water cylinder?

Plumbing in the extension hasn't started yet and I plan to put the unvented
cylinder in the gurage.

My plans were for the system boiler but I met a plumber who said to go
conventional.

A conventional boiler with a cold water tank and a hot water cylinder
allows the use of an immersion heater to provide hot water if the boiler
fails. Simpler boiler with less to go wrong.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide which alternative you prefer. I am
just about to go to a property which has a system combi boiler that is
not working, so I will be cold and have no hot water (kettles apart)
until I fix the problem.

--
Michael Chare