Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disposal of roofing felt

On Monday, 11 February 2019 11:33:46 UTC, Harold Davis wrote:
"Jim K.." wrote in
:
Harold Davis Wrote in
message:

This isn't strictly about DIY but here goes.

A contractor has quoted me a large figure for the job of replacing
the currently felt-covered flat roof over my garage and part of the
house, to include £1400 for disposal of the felt that will be removed
before fibre glass is put on.

I queried this figure and he said the felt is considered to be a
hazardous material. It seems he's right, even if the attendance of
teams of guys wearing chemical warfare suits won't be required.

But £1400? The area is about 7 metres x 7 metres.

How can I make some sort of check on what the disposal costs will be?

Ring a skip company & ask?
Tactically, ring a skip company outside your area, just in case
it's a cosy setup ;-)

Thanks everyone.

I rang the council's landfill centre and they quoted me about £170 per
tonne if I bring it in myself. I also looked at websites of a few places
that sell roofing felt, and it seems that the weight is about 2kg per
square metre, so with about 50 square metres I'll have about 0.1 tonne to
get rid of. I forgot to ask whether there was a minimum charge, so it may
cost £17 or perhaps as much as £70 plus all the hassle of cutting it up
and making several journeys in the car, but £1400 seems totally
ridiculous. So now I'm sceptical about everything else in the quote too.

Harry

There will be 2 or 3 layers of felt on the roof.
You shouldn't pay anything at the dump if you have a car. It's waste from your house and can go in the general waste bin. But yes you may get hassle if they spot it, as they think you might be a roofer.

The slow free way is to put some in the household bins each week.

NT