Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Economy 7 supply wiring question

ARW wrote:

On 10/02/2019 21:54, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 07/02/2019 23:27, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

I've carefully avoided checking that the economy 7 circuit is wired as a
ring so far, but I suppose I could always use a smaller MCB.

A couple of options.

First of all find out if is a ring or not. Now is the time to find out!

If not a ring then swap the Wylex box for a new CU with 2 x 20A radial
circuits with RCBOs or a RCD main switch. Don't consider a 2 way garage
CU as you have 25mmm tails. You might just squeeze a 4way with main
switch CU in there.

If it is a ring then

a) swap the sockets for sockets with RCD built into them. Job done in
minutes.

b) swap the Wylex unit for a 32A double width RCBO in a suitable
enclosure (going to be tricky with 25mm tails)

or

c) follow the advice for the radial circuit and have 3 spare ways and
one 32A RCBO.

Thanks for the advice!

I've looked, and now wish I hadn't! The MCB is connected to a 10mm
cable (could just be 6mm, but I think it is 10). However, by the time
it gets to the sockets they are each wired with single 2.5mm cable.
There is presumably some sort of junction box somewhere, but what he
used that takes one 10mm and two 2.5mm wire I don't know. You'd think
it would be big enough to spot! I presume branched radials are frowned
upon, even with a suitable MCB. Fortunately I can scrap one of the
sockets, as it is unused, being intended for running a washing
machine/tumble dryer on Economy 7.

Actually, I don't benefit significantly from Economy 7[1] so I may just
scrap the timeswitch[2] and connect the single storage heater to a spare
way on the main CU, with a timeswitch at the socket. I expect they will
charge me to change the meter.

[1] with my current supplier who I was allocated to when Iresa went
bust I think I am paying significantly more on Economy 7. More round
tuits needed.

[2] very few supplers will charge one on a flat rate tariff if one has
an Economy 7 meter, despite the simplicity of the arithmetic needed it
hasn't been programmed into most of their billing systems.

I thought that suppliers were falling all over each other in a rush to
fit meters for free?

No network signal.

It reminds me of a rewire I did some years ago when the customer had gas
CH fitted at the same time as the rewire. Some months later she called
back to say she was having problems with the electricity company and
could I tell her the date on which we disconnected the economy 7 meter.

I could give her the exact date. September the 11th 2001.

--

Roger Hayter