Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Bodywork

In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

For years they only allowed one space per household on many new estates
- to deliberately "encourage" people not to have cars. Of course that
was useless as most couldn't get to and from their workplaces; carry a
week's shopping for a family; get the kids to and from clubs and the
like without.

When the Edwardian estate we used to live on was built, nobody
had a car.Later, as car ownership expanded, householders paved
or tarmaced over their front gardens and got the council to
put in a dropped kerb. The situation has now deteriorated to
the stage where it is bot unusual to find two or even three
cars parked side by side, nose on to the house, with the rear
ends over half of the footway.

About three year or so ago, the council announced that they
would not grant planning permission for a dropped kerb unless
the frontage was at least as deep as a car length.

It is a very large estate and I can't recall ever seeing a
single house with a frontage that deep!

--

Terry

---