Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default Bodywork

On 09/02/2019 08:57, alan_m wrote:
On 09/02/2019 08:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
If your road is anything like mine its a nightmare for parked cars and
the
local fire teams tell me that if they have to attend a fire here many
cars
will get damaged. Half the problem is that the powers that be want to
stop
cars, but the car makers want to sell them but the local planning regs do
not make sufficient parking for the number of houses, flats etc they
build
so you can see the result all over the country.

I think local planning does make provisions for parking in new builds.
The problem is in streets built before car ownership was common place
especially where many houses were converted to flats for multiple
occupancy. I believe that my councils planning department will no longer
approve conversion of a house to flats in many areas unless the
developer makes provision for off road parking.

Not all.

Around here, social housing is provided in purposely "car free development"

http://www.carfreehousing.org/whatis.html

This means some local roads away from the complexes are even more
stressed with parking conflicts between near/far residents and
commuters, and requirements to get a parking permit to park outside ya
own house are ever-increasing.

Next move - ye pay extra rates to park in ya own drive...

--
Adrian C