Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] angelicapaganelli@yahoo.com is offline

Default Furnace filters

On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:55:28 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 9:16:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 8:15:04 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 8:12:25 PM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new
house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and
MERV 8
regardless of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11?
We have no
pets.
I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a
dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

As long as you replace frequently(max 30 days) my AC guy sez
it doesn't matter much. Just keep em clean

Why would anyone in a typical house replace a filter every 30 days?

What's a typical house? I live in a 1948 masonry structure partially
on a crawl space and partially on a basement. The cold air returns
are set into the floors. My husband has asthma. We have two
furnace filters: a prefilter and a big pleated paper filter.
We change the prefilter every month (and it is dirty), and the
paper filter twice a year.

Cindy Hamilton

Cold air returns in the floor are not typical.

You're not wrong. We put them in the floor because the original
ones in the wall used to wash down over the concrete block
foundation. Warm house air over cold block = mold.

Cindy Hamilton