Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Furnace filters

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 19:12:16 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new
house has a
furnace and uses filters. It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and
MERV 8
regardless of the brand? Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11?
We have no
pets.
I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a
dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

As long as you replace frequently(max 30 days) my AC guy sez
it doesn't matter much. Just keep em clean

I have a washable electrostatic (passive) filter that I wash out every
couple of months since the cats died (every month when we had the 2)