Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_9_] Gerry[_9_] is offline

Default what type of press is this?

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 13:54:17 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 3 Feb 2019
09:28:32 -0500
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
Leon Fisk on Fri, 1 Feb 2019
15:40:31 -0400
On Fri, 01 Feb 2019 10:13:12 -0500
Clare Snyder wrote:

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 06:11:16 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

It's some sort of press with a heavy wheel that spins back and
forth and
presses on the work using a heavy screw.

No audio needed, just watch about 10 seconds

https://youtu.be/CLcAms8GgeM?t=427

What's the history of these, any is it something uncommon in the
US?
I'd call it a "rotary inertia" or "worm gear inertia" press and
it
is not common in North America from what I've seen.

That's because Andrew has been hoarding them all in Texas:

https://www.instagram.com/blacksmith...p/BYjxXCmjvtY/

Seriously though, he would be a good one to call if you want one.
He
seems to come across them pretty often...

Looks like a stamping press. In this case, knocking out 'flatware.
Put the blank in it,down comes the die, up goes the die, out comes
the
spoon / fork. FWIW, Krupp Steel started out supplying those dies.
--
pyotr filipivich
"With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels

They were wise to be ready for either war or peace.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_versus_butter_model

But when he started, Herr Krupp wasn't the Industrial Powerhouse.
Rather a bit of the opposite. E.G., his first mill used water wheels
to power the drop hammer (SOP at the time). Which he put on a
stream
which didn't have enough flow year round.

--
pyotr filipivich

New England has preserved some of that history. We took a school trip
to this place not long after it was restored and they demonstrated the
waterwheels and trip hammer and explained the tedious process of
squeezing the slag out of a bloom of iron, one of which they had on
display.
https://www.engr.psu.edu/mtah/photos/photos_saugus.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor..._Historic_Site

When I was little my father bought lumber to repair our 1830 house at
a water-powered sawmill.
-jsw

The house I was raised in, was built with exterior walls of two layers
of white pine planks on end. these planks were 24 to 36 inches wide, 2
1/2 inches thick and up to 20 feet long. The trees were cut on the
property and floated down the river to a water powered mill much like
the Taylor Mill with the vertical saw powered by an undershot wheel.
This mill combined the saw mill, a planing mill and a grist mill. I
never saw the mill but remember well the stone fillled cribs of the
dam and flume. We used to use the cast grinding plates from the grist
mill as a boat anchor.
The site was washed away in the early '50's when an ice jam combined
with driftwood in the forebay of the dam gave way and spread
everything downstream.