Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default what type of press is this?

On 02/02/2019 00:26, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 00:19:54 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

On 01/02/2019 06:11, Cydrome Leader wrote:
It's some sort of press with a heavy wheel that spins back and forth and
presses on the work using a heavy screw.

No audio needed, just watch about 10 seconds

https://youtu.be/CLcAms8GgeM?t=427

What's the history of these, any is it something uncommon in the US?

I've not seen a powered one like that but it's basically a fly press as
others have mentioned. For manual operation they're quite nice as you
get a feel for the energy input required to do the job so you adjust
accordingly. I have one and they're quite common in the UK. The pic
posted of a bunch of them in Texas looks a lot like Norton or Sweeney &
Blocksidge but I expect they were made in the US as well.

What do the heavy balls do for getting a feel for the work?

The balls just store the energy you apply to the handle when swinging it
around and that energy is released when the tooling strikes the work.
It's normal to keep a hold of the handle so you feel the interaction
between the tool and work, not always required but it's nice for some
things. The balls and fly presses come in different sizes depending on
the job requirement. The ram runs in precision guides so location is
consistent which is useful for thing such as punches and dies which I
have a decent selection of, once the bolster has been located to hold
the die the punches and dies can be swapped quickly and easily which is
really useful for the likes of punching holes in sheet metal.

They still make the things new in the UK
https://www.jameswshenton.co.uk/norton-presses-ccm5 .

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---