View Single Post
  #8   Report Post  
Old February 2nd 19, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins[_2_] Jim Wilkins[_2_] is offline
external usenet poster
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,393
Default what type of press is this?

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 06:11:16 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

It's some sort of press with a heavy wheel that spins back and forth
presses on the work using a heavy screw.

No audio needed, just watch about 10 seconds

What's the history of these, any is it something uncommon in the US?

**** thats old school! 1800s technology. Has to be a bitch to set
travel as well.

They were very common at one time...but they are tough to setup,
to stop, and as a result..incredibly unsafe.

Hence..they are not used in the US anymore..and havent been for
probably 100 yrs

From what little I saw the top die descends until the workpiece stops
it, which suits them to stamping identical repetitive details on
batches of variably thick hand-forged parts for wrought-iron railings
etc. I think an arbor press would be as or more useful to a machinist.