View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Old February 2nd 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch[_6_] Gunner Asch[_6_] is offline
external usenet poster
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,302
Default what type of press is this?

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 00:19:54 +0000, David Billington

On 01/02/2019 06:11, Cydrome Leader wrote:
It's some sort of press with a heavy wheel that spins back and forth and
presses on the work using a heavy screw.

No audio needed, just watch about 10 seconds

What's the history of these, any is it something uncommon in the US?

I've not seen a powered one like that but it's basically a fly press as
others have mentioned. For manual operation they're quite nice as you
get a feel for the energy input required to do the job so you adjust
accordingly. I have one and they're quite common in the UK. The pic
posted of a bunch of them in Texas looks a lot like Norton or Sweeney &
Blocksidge but I expect they were made in the US as well.

What do the heavy balls do for getting a feel for the work?


"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.