Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Gig-Ohm resistor

On 2/1/19 1:56 PM, wrote:
I have never heard the term Gigaohms used with resistors. Is this a
valid term? With computer hard drives, if a drive is 1000 megabytes,
it's called one gigabyte.

Using some resistor color code software I have, it does not use that
term. For example, brown black gray says 1000M. or red red white is
listed as 22,000M

In real life I have never used any resistor with that high of a
capacity, I dont even know if they are made, but would 1G or 22G be
valid for the examples above?

Sure, why not?

I've designed instrument front ends using resistors as large as 50G,
which you can get from Digikey. (In fact they sell 500 Gohm resistors
in surface mount.)

One thing to remember is that they're very very slow--a 500G resistor
makes a 1-second time constant with 2 pF!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs