View Single Post
  #3   Report Post  
Old February 1st 19, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] is offline
external usenet poster
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2016
Posts: 544
Default what type of press is this?

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 1:11:19 AM UTC-5, Cydrome Leader wrote:
It's some sort of press with a heavy wheel that spins back and forth and
presses on the work using a heavy screw.

No audio needed, just watch about 10 seconds

What's the history of these, any is it something uncommon in the US?

That's a "fly press": a flywheel screw press. No, they aren't common in the US. Apparently they've been around for a long time in forge shops in other parts of the world, including Europe.

I never saw one but I remember seeing photos when I was an editor at American Machinist, back in the '70s.

Ed Huntress