Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Default Do you have experience with "infrared camera detection" on mobile devices?

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 15:05:10 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:
Another detector for a hidden camera lens is the reflective LED method.
You wear a headdress of LEDs facing outwards just above your eyes and if
you see bright point reflections then you may have found your hidden
camera (lens)...

This was explored in the book by Cory Doctorow "Little Brother"
https://boingboing.net/2008/05/09/ho...ct-hidden.html
John :-#)#

Nice idea. My initial guess(tm) was that the anti-reflective coating
on the camera lens would umm... not reflect anything:
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-locate-pinhole-cameras/
The instructions are value and ambiguous. It took me a while to
decode how it is intended to be used.

The purpose of the toilet paper tube is prevent the user from seeing
the direct light from the flashlight. In order to get a tolerable
reflection, the flashlight should be close and parallel to the toilet
paper tube. Once I did that, I was able to see reflections from some
of my various cameras, but also reflections from anything shiny in the
house. The lenses that did not reflect light were those with clear
plastic lens protectors, which reflected nothing no matter what I
tried. Actually, there was plenty of light scattering, but nothing
that could be seen as a reflected spot. That eliminated some of my
laptop web cameras and outdoor security cameras. How well it works in
the field, I don't know. Probably better than inside my house because
of the lack of spurious reflections.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D