Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this 4 axis set up called?

wrote in message
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 7:45:09 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:01:39 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
On 14 Jan 2019 01:57:30 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2019-01-13, JimmyMcGill wrote:
Hey does anyone know what the correct name for this 4 axis
set
up is
called and possibly who makes it?

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/what-is-the-name-of-this-5-axis-positioning-tool/?action=dlattach;attach=617821;image

It looks to me like a combination of a milling attachment for
lathe (the vertical part replaces the compound), and a 2-axis
X-Y
table
missing the table top.

Is it sure that the same company made both parts? The bottom
(X-Y) part looks like something which Sears sold way back when.

Note that the handwheel on the vertical leadscrew is different
from those on the X and Y axes.

Enjoy,
DoN.
Looks like some kind of Rube Goldberg setup of some sort - - -
I'm thinking at leeast 2 more or less unrelated tools fastened
together.

Rube would have fun with that thing. g There is no way that
combination of slides and clamps could stand up to a cut made
with
any kind of metalworking machine. It has looseness, flexing and
backlash written all over it.

The top part looks like a larger version of the milling
attachment
on my South Bend 10L lathe, which is original equipment. In terms
of
relative sizes, though, the X-Y base is much larger that on the
assembly in the photo.

--
Ed Huntress

It does look very South Bend-ish but the only details that match my
Heavy 10 milling attachment are visible end of the upright slide
base
and the vise opening with square head clamping screws. The vise on
mine is part of the slide casting and the tilting joint is on the
back
of the slide base.

The vertical leadscrew on mine ends in a round shaft above the same
bushing. The unbalanced removeable handle crank engages a
protruding
dowel pin at about the height of the socket head screw on the
right.
-jsw

Yeah, that's the way mine works, too. It was part of the kit that
came with the lathe: War Board, built for the Navy in 1945, and all
surfaces on the milling attachment are machined.

But, if my failing memory serves, the milling attachments for larger
SB lathes were more like the one in the photo.

--
Ed Huntress

http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman-12x36/mill1.jpg