Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Central Heating not working (update)

On 14/01/2019 09:42, JoeJoe wrote:
Further to my earlier post see below...

You may recall that my old (external) condensate pump appeared to have
developed an electrical problem where it would cut out whenever there
was a demand for it, resulting in the loss of power to the boiler and a
"reboot"t. The boiler was restarted every time there was a demand for
the pump.

In order to keep the boiler working in the few days until I managed to
get hold of a new pump I had bypassed the pump by extending the
condensate pipe from the boiler and run it to a corner under the house.
Plenty of ash and soil there, and 1m+ clearance, so should have just
gotten absorbed.

I followed the advice given here, and replaced the condensate pump
yesterday - a like for like replacement. Took a water bottle with me,
and it does seem to work as it should. I filled it up a few times.

However, one thing I noticed whilst there was that corner that the
extended pipe that I had fitted to drain the condensate water to
appeared dry, suggesting that the boiler does not produce any condensate
water at all... The boiler had been running for a couple of hours prior
to me going there.

Since yesterday I have not noticed the pump working at all. It is under
the house, but can be heard if you are in the room above. I was in that
room for a few hours with the boiler running, and nothing.

Any idea what is going on?Â* The boiler seems to work fine - heating and
hot water (it is a combi).

I checked under the boiler - no water there. Getting under the house is
tricky, and before I go there again to check that the pipe boiler-pump
is still in position (very very unlikely that it moved), is there
anything else to consider (inside the boiler perhaps)?

TIA.

Have a 5 year old WB combi that is regularly serviced and works fine (I
believe).

In the last two days we experienced two problems:

1. The hot water cutting off during a shower. Turning the water off,
waiting for a few seconds and turning it back on resumes hot water
(until the next time...).

2. Heating that cuts off at random times, and does not seem to respond
to demand signal from the programmable room thermostat.

We are using one of these:
https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/c...om-thermostat/

which I believe is a rebadged Honeywell basic(ish) version. I fitted it
2 years ago to replaced a failed Honeywell 927.

Earlier today I tried to create artifical demand for the heating/boiler
by setting the target temp to 30c, but the relay failed to turn itself
on (led stayed off). Pressing the manual/override button on the relay
box turned the led on and the boiler started.

A few hours later the heating was once again not working as expected, so
I repeated the above. This time the relay failed to start - the override
button does not seem to do anything.

The display on the controller is bright and clear, and there is no
indication that the batteries are low (there is usually a message).

- My gut feeling is that the relay box is dead. Any thoughts?
- Why would the hot water keep on cutting off then? because the boiler
receives random requests for heating from the faulty relay during a shower?
- Any other suggestions as to the cause?

Well it depends a bit on how much its collecting (they usually collect
in into a syphon reservoir, so it can be dispensed in bursts rather than
as a continuous trickle. So higher return temps will mean less
collected. Many combis don't condense on DHW production.

Also you can check the condensate trap at the boiler - make sure its not
blocked or full of stuff.

--
Cheers,

John.