Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. slocomb John B. slocomb is offline

Default Concrete, steel, or ?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 04:32:41 -0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 08:25:51 +0700, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:12:55 -0800 (PST), whit3rd wrote:
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:12:14 AM UTC-8, amdx wrote:
I think a 20 ft chain link fence, lay [concertina barbed wire]...
Boarder guards to keep watch for
anyone trying to use equipment to breach.

That's a huge manpower sink for a border that hasn't been a military
problem since Pancho Villa rode. I'd propose a trial at the N Dakota/S
Dakota border first, to see if it stops invasion forces there.

But in the case of amdx's suggestion, it might not take all that many
people. Presumably you'd need only a few boarder guards per boat,
and there aren't so many boats on the Mexican border as to be a problem.

It might be noted that the walls that have been successful from The
Great Wall of China to Hadrian's Wall to the Israeli Wall all had/have
one thing in common. they had/have troops assigned to them to prevent
"outsiders" from crossing the wall. And, I suspect that method of
deterring wall crossers was/is "kill 'em".

Maybe, maybe not. Back in August 2001, I read a newspaper article
that said "South Dakota put a giant fence around the whole state to
keep these tourists out, and STILL they keep coming", and went on to
suggest that even tourists getting killed by cold soon after arriving
wasn't enough to keep them out.

Here's a little more from that article: "People have such an instant
thing about how North Dakota is cold and snowy and flat. ... In
contrast, South Dakota is universally believed to be a tropical
paradise with palm trees swaying on surf-kissed beaches. Millions of
tourists, lured by the word 'South', flock to South Dakota every
winter, often wearing nothing but skimpy bathing suits. Within hours,
most of them die and become covered with snow, not to be found until
spring, when they cause a major headache for South Dakota's farmers
by clogging up the cultivating machines. South Dakota put a giant
fence around the whole state to keep these tourists out, and STILL
they keep coming. That's how powerful a name can be."

Note, some of the facts in that article are a bit out of date --
what with climate change, the "covered with snow" part probably
is no longer true.

I think I got the central facts from the article (which was
syndicated to lots of newspapers) as they apply to this ND/SD
border fence topic, but for those interested the article also has
numerous facts about North Dakota's image and attempts to improve
it. https://www.miamiherald.com/living/l...gs/dave-barry/
article1934484.html

Is Dave Barry an authority on fences :-)

Cheers,
John B.