Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
On 12/01/2019 21:54, newshound wrote:
On 12/01/2019 17:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/01/2019 13:51, NY wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
SO why isn't the clock metric? I still have my Casio calculator from
the 70s which could work in hrs and mins.

I remember seeing articles in magazines which discussed in all
seriousness whether the world should devise new units of 50 metric
seconds in a metric minute, 50 of those minutes in a metric hour and
25 metric hours in a day. Or some such calculation which resulted in
a metric second being *reasonably* close to a real second.

I remember an A level physics practical demo that was screwed up by
some kind of centi minute stopwatch the lab tech gave out... Basically
it meant when it said what we thought was ten seconds had passed, it
had actually only been six.

In my research days, when we were typically running experiments for a
week or two, one of my colleagues suggested that we should use the
microfortnight as a unit of time. (Check out what it corresponds to).

One of our old physics books (published by Mills & Boon oddly enough)
mentioned a process that used a measurement of a foot-pound per
pennyweight fortnight!

On of our university lecturers suggested we measure viscosity in "Acres per
year" (L^2/T)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England